Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Living By Words

I watched a video on YouTube (because I'm addicted!) last week on a channel called For Human Peoples; see them here: https://www.youtube.com/user/ForHumanPeoples. I don't remember how I got to it but there was a video: Giving Care Packs to the Homeless. If you have a few minutes, please go check it out.

And it got me thinking. A lot. About a lot of different things. But mostly about how much we have as individuals, as a nation, and as a world. We've got more than enough to go around, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

We have enough food on this planet right now, that not one man, woman, or child should go to bed hungry. We have enough buildings all over the world that not one person should have to sleep outside unless they want to go camping. We have enough!

I don't know why, but it makes me most sad when I see homeless people asking for food. We have enough to take  care of both of these things in just a few minutes.

Now, I'm not naïve, I know there are people who aren't really homeless or starving, sitting by a red light, just trying to see how much they can get. I know this, but I also know that I have looked into the watery eyes of a young man who had nothing and no where to go. And I did nothing.

This is a new year and I have decided to do more. I took a queue from that video I mentioned and I found an old backpack. Then I went to Wal-Mart and bought trial size toiletries, a $10 restaurant gift card, a note pad and pen, and some thick socks to fill the backpack. Now, this is by no means going to solve all the problems of the world, but it's a start. The next time I see a homeless person, I will happily give them this bag (I keep it in my truck) and pray he or she has a better day. Even if this person is not really homeless, aren't I doing the right thing? Helping someone I think is in need? Yes, I believe that if I'm doing it from the right places in my heart, it will make a difference.

I had another idea - I could go buy several $10 food gift cards and deliver them to the local homeless shelter. Maybe they could hand them out. I could do this weekly or monthly, or even a few times a year. Like I said before, this isn't going to solve everything at once, but it is a start at helping others.

I guess another reason I have a desire to help others is because by nature (or genetics), I consider myself a selfish person. And I hate it! I have people in my life who live to get pity. They don't care about anyone but themselves. They want everyone to feel sorry for them and give them whatever they want. Don't smile at them or tell them to have a good day! You'll get a pitiful reply about how no day is ever good. And these people I'm talking about have so much to be thankful for! They do not live on the streets - they have a pretty decent house, they have a refrigerator full of food, clean clothes, and family. But you wouldn't know it just by listening to them. And my greatest fear is to become like them. I can't. I just can't be that kind of person. I can't go through life living in such darkness. God gave us so much to enjoy! And this life is way too short to sit in a dark room and sleep it away or never laugh or smile or never love and let someone love us back.

So, I'm working on being the best person I can be. And these are the words I'm trying to live by:

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me"."-- Erma Bombeck

No comments:

Post a Comment