Thursday, December 5, 2013

In-Laws and Old People

A week and a half before Thanksgiving my mother in law said she wasn't getting enough attention so she had a heart attack. I know, she isn't funny, but that was actually what she said to me as they rolled her out of surgery and into the hospital hallway. Of course, that's the second thing she said; first she said she's ready for a baby NOW. As in a grandchild...from me. And after her - not funny - joke, she began telling me of someone she knows who is taking invitro. Um, yea, I got it - you're ready for another grandchild. Shouldn't you be in recovery or something? Or at the very least, shouldn't you be tired? Worried about breathing and living another day? No? No, you're a mother in law. I say it with so much love, but I'm thinking she needs to get her priorities in order!

Two days before Thanksgiving my husband calls and asks if I want to meet his mom and granddaddy for lunch. Sure I do, I love lunch! He says to meet them at Pizza Hut...Pizza Hut, as in greasy, not healthy pizza. At this point I'm only going to fuss at my maw in law for not following doctor's orders about a better diet. And fuss I did! At least she knows I love her. She tells me the doctor said it wasn't caused by what she ate. I say, "He meant what you ate that day! Not like what you've eaten EVER!" And I said some other things. And I'm still in the family, so that's good.

Cut to Saturday after Thanksgiving. We have yet another dinner and eat just as much or more than we did on Thursday. It's a lazy afternoon and all night I just have this sad feeling that I can't shake.

Sunday morning about 7 my mom calls hysterical. My grandfather was bleeding and passing out and he's at the hospital. This is not good at all! I start crying and freaking out and then I remember how overly dramatic my mother is. So I make some phone calls and find out that my grandpa is not doing well at all. I wake up my husband and brother and tell them to pack bags. I have to go to the office and do some work to catch up from the holiday, in case we have to stay a few days. When I get back, asses in car, ready to go!

During our 4 hour drive to north Louisiana every terrible outcome imaginable goes through my mind. By the time we get there Grandpa is doing better, he's even being aggravating and sexist! That's my grandpa! :-) We visit for about 4 hours and realize he's going to be ok, they even said he could go home on Monday. So we head back home - another 4 hour trip.

How lucky am I to have a husband that just does this. I mean, the man hates long car trips! But he loves me enough to drive 4 hours, visit 4 hours, and drive back 4 hours just to give me peace of mind. I am SO lucky and blessed! And my brother does not like hospitals or being around a lot of people. But all I had to do was tell him what was going on and he got in the car and went to the hospital with us. He is my hero!

My grandfather ends up having to stay in the hospital a few more days. He got to go home yesterday and I couldn't get through to talk to him. The phone lines are acting crazy, but he is home so I am happy. But I told him on Tuesday, if they didn't let him out, I would break him outta there!

Between heart attacks, Thanksgiving, and the old man (that's what I call him, lovingly), I'm tired! I mean wore out! And next week starts graduation and Christmas celebrations around our house. I'm going to need some serious R&R! Let's hope Santa remembers the spa gift card this year!

All that to say this: Tell everyone in your life how much you love them and what they mean to you, as often as possible. You really never know when they may be gone....or when they're going to scare the crap out of you and make you think they're on their way out of this life!

No comments:

Post a Comment